Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's Kind of a Funny Story

  I'm used to reading those cheesy girl books. They all have to do with some girl falling for some hot guy at school, and in the end they end up together.... wow i didn't see that coming (I'm being sarcastic). Those books get me bored. So i needed a change from that and i picked up It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. It's a book from a 13 yr old boy named Craig,  who's struggling with life as a teenage boy.
 Starting this book i thought i was going to end up putting it down and getting a different book. I was hesitant when i started reading it. The first few pages were a little graphic and i though wow so this is what goes on in a boys head i didn't need a book to tell me this, I already knew. I got through the first few chapters i thought it was an o.k book. When i got to the middle of the 2nd part of the  book is when i really got into it. I realized that as a teen we all got the same issues no matter if your a boy or girl. Were all just as messed up. Were got fears, responsibilities , expectations  to live up to, and pressure that is put upon us. I was able to connect to the character Craig on many levels. As a person, student, and teen.
 Having questions about who you are what your purpose in this world is. Most of the time you don't feel like your the best you can be. Like everyone out there is a whole lot better than you. Craig had a problem thinking he wasn't worth anything falling into depression at such a young age. Thinking about suicide being the easiest way to get rid of his so called problems. He was so focused on getting prepared to have a perfect life he forgot about living it. He wanted to be a big important person, with a wife, kids, and a house he could call his own.
 Truth is he still a kid he needs to live his life. he needs to stop stressing about having a perfect future. It's good to have goals for yourself and be ambitious. There's no need to let it take over your life. Now that I'm a teen i wish i was a little kid again. I thought being older would be cool and fun, but boy was i wrong. If I feel this way now I don't want to imagine the way I'm going to feel when I'm a grown up.
Craig no one know why they were but on this earth or who they really are it takes a lifetime to figure that out. Even with a lifetime the answers to those questions may not be clear. You just gotta live your life to the fullest, take advantage of the opportunities you get in life.

3 comments:

  1. wow i still read cheesy girl stories and i still think that they're cool and intresting

    ReplyDelete
  2. your being mean by not giving other type of books a chance

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job starting off with a bit of a personal narrative, then unpacking what you thought of the character. great work!

    ReplyDelete